Welcome! I’m Daniel, and this is The Genealogy Corner, my website dedicated to genealogical resources, first-hand experiences researching my family tree and unearthing other people’s fascinating family history.
I first became interested in genealogy when I was about ten, when I was shown a diagram of my family tree that a distant relative had drawn up. I instantly became fascinated by the fact that, unknowingly, I was an integral part of a huge puzzle that I call my family. My insatiable appetite for knowledge and unravelling mysteries has led me to where I am today: I help others to crack their genealogical brickwalls, write articles for my blog and family history magazines, and take an active role in social media platforms dedicated to genealogy.
Over the years, my research has taken me to many places across Europe and the United States. Of course, a great deal of this research would not have been possible without the tremendous help offered by the Internet, family history website and collaborative spaces, but nothing beats sitting in an archive uncovering old documents and manuscripts which have remained unopened for decades – if not centuries! Knowing which sources to use – and how to use them – is key.
Everyone researches their family for different reasons. I personally believe genealogy should not only respond to the question “how far back can you go in time”, but of knowing who you are and who were those individuals who shaped the family you were born into and/or who brought you up. In my opinion, tracing your lineage back several centuries is relatively pointless if you don’t investigate the links in between and the lives that populate your family tree. It is discovering these wonderful little details which makes the experience worthwhile.
My own research has unearthed truly remarkable stories, from scandals to family tragedies, from bigamous marriages to murders. I have so far successfully traced my ancestry back to the 15th century through several of my ancestral lines, and I have found ancestors who lived as far away as Great Britain, Italy, Spain and the United States. As of 2018 my family tree file features well over 17,000 individuals, from Canada to Australia, from Germany to Argentina. Thus, I have created this blog, to share with you my relatives’ past, so their stories will not be forgotten in the future.
If you want to learn more about the results of my research for others, you can read some of these testimonials from grateful customers by clicking here.
I hope you enjoy your visit. Thank you for dropping by, for commenting, for linking, for liking and for subscribing!
- Bachelor’s Degree in English and French Translation and Interpreting, University of Salamanca (Spain), 2003-2008
- Master’s Degree in Diplomacy and International Relations, Diplomatic School of Madrid, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Spain, 2009-2010
- Masters’ Degree in Nobility Law, Genealogy and Heraldry by the National University of Distance Education (UNED, Spain), 2014
- International Society of Genetic Genealogy (ISOGG)
- Association of Genealogy, Heraldry and Nobility of Galicia (AGHN)
- Circle of Genealogy and Heraldry of the European Union, European Commission (CGHUE)
- Malvern Family History Society
- Herefordshire Family History Society
- Board member of THE Genealogy Show (2019)